CPC Driver Training – FAQ’S

The maximum number of drivers allowed on any of our sessions is 15.
This will depend on a number of factors; please “contact us” so that your company / individual needs can be assessed and a quotation can then be provided. Prices start from £50 + VAT per person / per 1 day course.
We can conduct training at any number of locations or customer’s premises throughout the whole of the UK; however, each location will be subject to a site visit / assessment by a member of our team before training can take place there. We have regional centres in Yorkshire.
To improve the knowledge and skills of all lorry drivers, this will result in: • Increased road safety (protecting all road users), • Improving the road freight transport industry (better staff performance, better recruitment and retention & more economical vehicle usage), • Improved professionalism of drivers (skill levels, maintenance & career opportunities), • Improving the environment (reduced fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and vehicle wear).
As well as a driving licence, lorry drivers who drive professionally will have to hold a Certificate of Professional Competence which is renewable every 5 years. There will be an “initial” qualification for new drivers, and “periodic training” for new and existing drivers. Driver CPC will come into force on 10 September 2009 for LGV drivers. Drivers who hold a vocational licence (i.e. C1, C, C+E etc.) prior to this date will not require the “initial” 35 hours of training but will require the “periodic” training which is 35 hours prior to 9 September 2014. This implementation date applies to all EU member states.
All professional drivers of lorries over 3.5 tonnes unless they qualify for an exemption.
No, unless in exempted circumstances under CPC rules.
Yes, under the new regulations a person of 18 can acquire a category C (followed by a Category C+E) licence as long as they also acquire the initial Driver CPC.
Yes, Driver CPC applies across all EU Member States therefore all of those drivers will be required to qualify and hold a Driver CPC in exactly the same way as UK drivers.
For the Initial Driver CPC there are no EU rules on the vehicles that drivers must use for the training prior to the test. For the Driver CPC practical test, vehicles used must satisfy the minimum test standards for the vocational driving test.
DSA is leading, on behalf of the Department for Transport, the implementation of the project. As well as legislation, this involves establishing and implementing arrangements for training and testing for both the initial qualification and periodic training.
Anyone driving under a category B licence is out of scope of the Directive.
This driver will be sent their driver qualification card in 2010 when they have completed their 35 hours of training. This card will have an expiry date of September 2014. This means that in order to renew the card in 2019 the driver will need to have completed another 35 hours of training between 2014 and 2019.
Yes. All Vocational Driving Licence categories will require candidates to firstly meet the higher medical regulations and hold a provisional licence for the category they wish to acquire.
Normally you will need to be 21 years of age although there are some exceptions, if you wanted a PCV licence these can be obtained at 24 yf age but you will be restricted to driving on a regular service where the route does not exceed 50km. LGV Category C1 can also be taken at 18.
Yes. You will need to take a theory test if you want a licence for a new category of vehicle, for example, if you have a car licence and you want a bus licence you will need to take a theory test.


To upgrade within a vehicle category you will not normally have to sit the test, for example, if you have a category C licence (Class II) (rigid body lorry) and you want a C + E licence (Class I) (articulated lorry) you will not have to take a theory test. You will however have to take the relevant practical test.

Anyone with sub-categories C1 and D1 entitlement who obtained those categories when they passed their car test and wants to upgrade to a C or D licence will have to obtain the correct provisional entitlement and pass a theory test.